The Fox River Valley Public Library District (FRVPLD) is committed to using current forms of social media. The Library believes that by participating in social media we are more accessible to you, our library users, can better promote library services and resources, and more easily meet you, the user, where you are. The purpose of the social media employed by the FRVPLD is to promote and disseminate information regarding Library programs, news, projects, and ongoing activities to all members of our communities consistent with the Library’s mission, and to provide a forum for library staff and library users to share opinions and information about library related subjects and issues.
Social media is defined as any web application, web site, or web account created and/or maintained by the FRVPLD which facilitates an environment for library staff and library users to share opinions and information about library-related subjects, events, or issues. The Library recognizes and respects differences in opinion. These guidelines govern public use of these tools for any purpose, and apply to all patrons, whether registered with FRVPLD or not.
FRVPLD regards online social media in the same way as its other information resources and communications. These guidelines are not intended to replace Library policies but, rather, to supplement those policies (see the full Social Media Policy 2.35.00 on page 20 here). As with more traditional resources, the Library does not act in place of or in the absence of a parent. The Library is not responsible for enforcing restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of this resource.
The Fox River Valley Public Library District welcomes the comments, posts, and messages of the community and recognizes and respects differences in opinion. All comments, posts, and messages are subject to review and the Library reserves the right, but is not required, to remove any comment, post, or message that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be abusive, defamatory, in violation of intellectual property rights, or otherwise inappropriate. The Library will not be held responsible or liable for content posted by any subscriber in any FRVPLD social media forum.
Appropriate content includes such things as:
- Notices of upcoming Library meetings or events
- Content of press releases
- Library policies and procedures
- Information about library services, trends or technologies
- Communication between library staff and the library community regarding FRVPLD work and/or projects
- Training and continuing education opportunities
- Promotion of FRVPLD or the library systems, associations or other professional bodies related to FRVPLD activities
- A place for the public to discuss their opinion as it relates to the Library
- Discuss books or virtually host a book club
Inappropriate content includes such things as:
- Obscene or racist content and hate speech related to any protected class
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Potentially libelous statements
- Copyrighted or plagiarized material
- Private, personal information published without consent
- Comments totally unrelated to the content of the forum
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion or Library
- Commercial promotions, spam, or political activity
By using this service, patrons agree to abide by the Library’s Social Media Policy and these Guidelines for use of Social Media. In addition, patrons agree to indemnify the Fox River Valley Public Library District and its officers and employees, from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages, and costs (including attorney’s fees) incurred by any of them which arise out of or are related to posted content. Forums and messaging may not be used for commercial purposes or, unless otherwise specified by the social media site, organized political activities. If any user does not agree to these terms, he or she is not to use the service, as violation of the terms may lead to legal liability.